Advanced First Aid & ResuscitationA fully accredited Apply First Aid course that provides participants with the skills and knowledge to confidently carry out advanced first aid and resuscitation as a search and rescue officer.
Highly experienced instructors train participants in the use of the correct emergency procedures, patient and first aider safety skills, and knowledge and treatment of common medical situations including trauma and life threatening medical emergencies.
First responder advanced first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation skills are vitally important for all search and rescue personnel.
Students will receive a two-day training program targeted at providing the ability to respond to an injured person, or people, and provide life sustaining advanced first aid and resuscitation.
At the completion of this training students will be able to:
- Identify, assess and manage immediate hazards to health and safety of self and others
- Perform Basic Life Support (DRSABCD)
- Manage an unconscious casualty and recognise the need for advanced resuscitation response
- Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and apply bag and mask techniques
- Provide supplementary oxygen and operate suction equipment
- Use an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED)
- Respond to Trauma and Medical Emergencies such as:
- Shock Management
- Airway Management - Asthma, Choking, Severe Allergic Reaction, Hyperventilation
- Cardiac conditions
- Seizures and Convulsions
- Bleeding and Wound Care
- Burns and Scalds
- Extremes of Heat and Cold
- Musculoskeletal Injuries
- Head, neck and spinal injuries
- Poisons and Toxic Substances
- Bites and Stings
- Abdominal injuries
- Eye and ear injuries
- Assess the situation and seek additional assistance from emergency medical services where required
- Monitor casualty condition and rectify issues preventing adequate treatment
- Report details of the incident in line with organisational policies
- Maintain confidentiality of records and information in line with statutory and/or organisational policies
- Check, maintain and clean equipment ready for future use
Training is delivered in the classroom using audio-visual presentations following which students will participate in practical simulations using the emergency equipment and resuscitation mannequins. Students will be required to complete a short pre-course learning workbook before commencement of the classroom training. The workbook and associated answer sheet will be provided to each student electronically.
On successful completion of this training each student will be issued with nationally recognised statements of attainment for Provide Advanced First Aid and Advanced Resuscitation.
Group bookings only.